How to Beat the Shared Bathroom Blues
Sharing is caring, right? More like, when it comes to bathrooms, sharing is inevitable. No matter who you are or where you’re from, you’ll likely share a bathroom in your lifetime. Whether you’re sharing with a sibling, relative stranger/roommate, or spouse, you want to maintain a sense of peace and harmony, especially in your smallest room. Here are some tips for sharing your space and keeping your sanity.
Ideally before you move in, sit down together and talk about needs, wants, and deal-breakers (pro tip: this is an all-around good idea for life).
- If you’re grossed out by hair in the drain, make sure you bring that up.
- If you love a fresh linen candle, ask your bathroomie if it’s a scent they enjoy… and if not, what is?
- If they disclose an intense fear of clowns… it may be time to retire that ironic clown shower curtain. Knowing — and respecting — each other’s likes and dislikes will go a long way in a shared space.
Creating a schedule is another way to avoid shared bathroom drama. Talk through a plan and revise it as needed throughout your time as bathroom mates.
- A written cleaning schedule allows you to divvy up the responsibilities and check them off as you go, avoiding finger pointing and resentment (and a dirty bathroom).
- Just as important as a cleaning schedule is a rough plan of when the bathroom will be used. Are you sharing with an early riser who likes to hit the gym and shower before you wake up, or will you both be vying for the space just before bed? Talking through typical comings and goings can help free up and maximize the time you have. Just remember to stay realistic and flexible — no one’s schedule is the same every day.
- Discuss what stuff you’ll need to bring into the bathroom, what toiletries you can possibly share, and how best to divide the available storage. Maximize your space with these different methods for organization.
Especially if your cohabitation is a new thing, use a bathroom supply run as an opportunity for a little bonding.
- Take a look at what you both have for the bathroom, what’s got to go (bye, clown curtain!), and what’s still needed.
- Discuss and set a budget for rounding out your bathroom together so you’re both comfortable with what’s being spent.
- Don’t forget the basics . While shopping together for plush towels, extra storage, and a cute rubber ducky for the tub, make sure you put toilet paper, a plunger, and dedicated cleaning supplies on your list. Happy sharing!
Did you know Synchrony HOME Credit Cardholders get 2% cash back paid as a statement credit on purchases made under $2991 and 6-month promotional financing on purchases over $299?2 Not a cardholder yet?* Learn more now! Already a Synchrony HOME™ cardholder? Log in to learn about additional offers available right now!
We include links to another website in this article for your convenience. We do not endorse any content on these sites.
All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product and service names are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement.
This content is subject to change without notice and offered for informational use only. You are urged to consult with your individual business, financial, legal, tax and/or other advisors with respect to any information presented. Synchrony and any of its affiliates (collectively, “Synchrony”) make no representations or warranties regarding this content and accept no liability for any loss or harm arising from the use of the information provided. Your receipt of this material constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
© 2019 Synchrony Bank.