Dream Staycation, Realized
In today’s harried world, we all need the occasional escape. Sometimes however, planning a trip is more fuss than fun. Next best thing? STAYCATION. At home. Ready to hit the road couch? Read on for ideas that let you have all of the fun with none of the hassle — no passport; no crowded lines; no uncomfortable planes; no worries!
Focus on your relationship and recharge your romantic batteries by scheduling some time just for the two of you. Recreate your honeymoon, or embark on a new romantic adventure without ever leaving the house:
1. Do not disturb. It should go without saying, but we’ll say it; clear the house. Send the kids to grandma’s and the pets to their favorite doggy daycare. Be sure to tell family and friends that you’re unavailable for the time you’ve set aside, as interruptions and visitors will definitely kill the vibe. While you’re at it, clear out the digital distractions; turn off email, put the phones on silent, and disable any recurring reminders.
2. In-room dining. Plan your meals ahead so you’re not worrying about meal prep during your staycation. Some options to consider:
- Order a meal kit box and have fun cooking a new recipe together.
- Clear out the beer fridge (or rent one!) and create your own personalized mini bar for your room, without the luxury hotel price tag.
- Take advantage of food delivery services to try a new cuisine or rediscover an old favorite. Amp up the room service feeling by eating in your bed!
- Plan a tasting based on your favorite adult beverage. Whether it’s a tequila flight, wine and cheese pairing , or bloody mary bar, indulge together (hey, you’re not driving!) and spark exciting conversation over drinks.
3. Game play. Stock up on fun, two-player games to mix things up. Start the morning with a cup of coffee and a joint attempt at a crossword puzzle. Waste away the afternoon with a lively card game at the dining table or relive your childhood with Twister in the den. It might even be fun to break out the kids’ gaming system and try to understand why they’re so obsessed with the latest video game craze. Afterall, the couple that plays together, stays together.
4. Just be. Together. Our lives are so consumed with work and politics and kids’ activities and financial concerns and whether we’re eating enough kale and whether we’re eating too much kale and… it’s exhausting! And it wears on relationships. Use this time to sleep in together, lounge in bed, discuss interesting topics, and plan your next (outside the home) vacation. Avoid stressful issues and responsibilities. Trust us, those things will be there when your staycation ends.
Recent research has confirmed what we’ve always suspected... girls’ trips are good for our health! Here’s how to get those benefits from the comfort of your home:
1. Find the time. Since you’re hosting, plan your girls’ retreat for a weekend when everyone else can make themselves scarce. Try to coordinate with summer camps and golf weekends, or, if scheduling is a pain, keep your retreat to just one amazing night.
2. Potluck party. In the communal spirit of sisterhood, assign dishes to each of your gal pals in attendance. Keep meals easy — think casseroles and continental breakfasts — but try to plan one big blowout, complete with fancy drinks (in your loungewear, obviously)!
3. Sleepover, elevated. Unless you’re some sort of millionaire, you likely don’t have a designated guestroom for all your friends. Take advantage of high-quality air mattresses and spacious living areas in your house to create an adult sleepover feel. Encourage the ladies to bring a pillow from home, or even a sheet set to avoid sleeping on your daughter’s rainbow unicorn setup, unless your friends are into that kind of thing.
4. Keep it loose. Unlike a family vacation, where things can go downhill quickly without a plan, time with good girlfriends flies by just sitting on the couch, gabbing. With that in mind, try not to overschedule your girls’ retreat. Pick one big activity to share with the group and, if you’re feeling extra, use it as a theme for the staycation! Our suggestion? Self-care spa retreat, complete with group yoga, a sunset stroll through the neighborhood (or local trail system), and a classic chick flick while wearing those peel-off face masks (why are they so fun?) and enjoying a fizzy drink.
Definitely an important time to rest and connect before baby arrives:
1. Splurge on comfort. Right before your babymoon begins, hire someone to clean your house. The last thing you should be doing during planned staycation time is worrying about perpetually dusty blinds or that burnt mystery food on the stovetop. Have your cleaners spend extra time on your bedroom and bathroom, so you can enjoy fresh sheets and a sparkling tub.
2. Spaaaaaah. Speaking of the sparkling tub, make some time for pampering. Prior to the start of your babymoon, make sure you have everything you need to create the perfect spa retreat in your own home. Have your partner draw you a long, luxurious bath and round out the mood with candles, hot tea, and calming mom-to-be tunes . Once you’re out, let them give you a soothing pregnancy massage or, if you’re able, hire a massage therapist to come to your home.
3. R-rated fun. Soon, you’ll be watching the TV on silent so you don’t wake the baby, and soon after that, your life will a mind-numbing blur of Disney Jr. and Netflix Kids on repeat. But not yet! Stock up on popcorn, candy, and other fun treats and have an R-rated movie marathon (we’re suckers for comedy) on the couch. No judgement if you fall asleep 10 minutes in.
4. Nest. Get a little closer to your partner and your baby by working on the nursery. Schedule some time during your babymoon to create a handmade craft for their room as a reminder of your love and this special time you’re sharing. Not crafty? Use a bit of your staycation to put away diapers, build the crib, or just sit in the rocker and picture all the joyful moments to come for your new family.
Did you know Synchrony HOME Credit Cardholders get 2% cash back paid as a statement credit on purchases made under $2991 and 6-month promotional financing on purchases over $299?2 Not a cardholder yet?* Learn more now! Already a Synchrony HOME™ cardholder? Log in to learn about additional offers available right now!
We include links to another website in this article for your convenience. We do not endorse any content on these sites.
All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product and service names are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement.
This content is subject to change without notice and offered for informational use only. You are urged to consult with your individual business, financial, legal, tax and/or other advisors with respect to any information presented. Synchrony and any of its affiliates (collectively, “Synchrony”) make no representations or warranties regarding this content and accept no liability for any loss or harm arising from the use of the information provided. Your receipt of this material constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
© 2019 Synchrony Bank.