Namaste Home: Creating a Yoga Retreat in Your Spare Room
The health and wellness benefits of yoga are well established at this point. Luckily, you don’t need a ton of space to expand your practice at home. Here’s a quick and easy guide to creating your own yoga retreat!
Start with Vastu.
Whether you have a spare room to convert, or simply a corner of your bedroom to dedicate to your practice, look to the ancient Indian science of Vastu Shastra to guide your design for maximum positive energy. Some necessities:
- Declutter & calm the space. Removing distractions will allow you to focus on your practice. Add light hues of calming colors like cream, beige, yellow or green.
- East, West, North & South. Ensure your setup allows you to face in multiple directions, based on the goals of your practice. The four directions are significant in yoga, and Vastu suggests that a yogi must face them to truly harness karmic energy and reap the benefits.
- Make it comfortable. Choose a space with a window that allows natural light to shine through. Make sure your mat and other tools are within reach and easily accessible. Add aromatherapy, plantlife, a statue of Buddha, and whatever else helps you hone in on your om.
Commit to your practice.
A home yoga retreat ensures excuses like inconvenient class times are a thing of the past. Now, you can spend five minutes meditating or work through a 60-minute vinyasa flow just by taking a few steps to your dedicated space.
Here are some ways to keep your practice consistent:
- Consider a subscription. Unless you’ve been doing yoga for years, it’s likely you’ll need a little guidance when it comes to your practice. There is no shortage of robust yoga apps for your phone or smart TV, helping you keep on track and giving you a variety of options to choose from every day.
- Depending on the size of your space, invite a family member to join you for morning meditation or to work through a new series together. It’s never too early to introduce your children to the healing power of yoga (and never too late for your partner).
- Reward yourself. Encourage the lasting effects of yoga by finishing your practice with a freshly brewed cup of tea in your kitchen, a vitamin D-rich walk through the neighborhood, or a relaxing, spa-like soak in your tub. Namaste!
Did you know Synchrony HOME Credit Cardholders get 2% cash back paid as a statement credit on purchases made under $2991 and 6-month promotional financing on purchases over $299?2 Not a cardholder yet?* Learn more now! Already a Synchrony HOME™ cardholder? Log in to learn about additional offers available right now!
We include links to another website in this article for your convenience. We do not endorse any content on these sites.
All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners. All company, product and service names are for identification purposes only. Use of these names, logos, and brands does not imply endorsement.
This content is subject to change without notice and offered for informational use only. You are urged to consult with your individual business, financial, legal, tax and/or other advisors with respect to any information presented. Synchrony and any of its affiliates (collectively, “Synchrony”) make no representations or warranties regarding this content and accept no liability for any loss or harm arising from the use of the information provided. Your receipt of this material constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
© 2019 Synchrony Bank.